Most Active Stories
- Extending Unemployment Benefits: Maine Delegation on Board
- Maine-Inspired Works Featured in Wyeth Retrospective
- Michaud Campaign Intern Suspended After Twitter Rants
- Viability of Cutler Campaign Questioned in Wake of Finance Reports
- Progressive Vision Thrusts Maine Business Owner into National Spotlight
Thu July 17, 2014
Ex-Officer Dies Days After Motorcycle Crash
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) _ A former police officer involved in a motorcycle accident in Augusta earlier this month has died of her injuries.
Karen Nightingale's husband, Jared, tells the Kennebec Journal his wife died Tuesday at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. She was 53.
The couple married in May. They were on the way to visit a home they were purchasing on July 6 when the motorcycle Karen Nightingale was operating hit a pothole and she was thrown to the ground. Although she was wearing a helmet, she sustained severe head injuries.
Her husband says she never regained consciousness.
Karen Nightingale started with the U.S. Border Patrol and worked for the Waterville, Skowhegan and Fairfield police departments. She started a new job last year as a Department of Health and Human Services investigator.