Most Active Stories
- New Poll Indicates Gains for Cutler, LePage in Maine Governor's Race
- Watch On-Demand: MPBN's 2nd Congressional District Debate
- Watch On-demand: MPBN's 1st Congressional District Debate
- New Poll Indicates Michaud Leading Maine Governor's Race
- Life on the Maine Frontier, Through the Lens of Blacksmith/Woodsman Isaac Simpson
Your Vote 2014
Wed August 13, 2014
Head of Pro-Cutler PAC in Maine Resigns
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) _ The head of a political action committee that's supporting independent gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler has resigned.
Betsy Smith left her post as director of Campaign for Maine last month.
Smith tells the Portland Press Herald that she still believes Cutler, who faces Republican Gov. Paul LePage and Democratic U.S. Rep. Mike Michaud, is the best candidate and that her decision to leave isn't related to him.
She says her goals and strategies for running the group differed from those of the PAC.
The PAC has raised $275,000 this year and had $71,000 on hand at the most recent reporting period.
Tom Saturley, chair of the PAC, said the organization has no plans to fill Smith's position.
Smith previously led the gay-rights group Equality Maine.